Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Reconstructed Pioneer View of Io

I have updated my website with my newly reprocessed version of Io from Pioneer 11. I also have the raw images in lossless format there. Below is a version of the Pioneer image from a print copy I enhanced (I removed the terminator area because it was too problematic, which gives the appearance of a different phase), and to the right, a version made frmo the original data. My hope is that someone can use this to look for albedo changes over the years. These days HST and groundbased telescopes take images routinely that are better than this, if not from this angle, above the north pole. And of course there is Galileo and Voyager. But this is by far the best pre-Voyager view we have of this rapidly changing world. Here is a link to the page on my site.

No comments: